Sunday, September 30, 2012

#6.


 -New London Group. "A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures." Harvard Educational Review. 66.1(1996): 1-32.

 -Shipka, Jody. Toward a Composition Made Whole. Pittsburgh, PA: Pittsburgh UP, 2011. (read through pg 82)

I see a wild amount of connections between The New London Group’s “A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures”, Jody Shipka’s Toward A Composition Made Whole and the timeline I recently constructed. Actually, a concern that Shipka mentions in Chapter One of her book seems describe my timeline better than I previously had done. Shipka quotes Carolyn Handa, writing, “Not all that long go our writing classrooms looked like any others in the university. They contained desks arranged in rows, a podium facing the class, and blackboards covering one or two walls. Technology may have existed only has an overhead projector displaying transparencies with additional class material. Occasionally, instructors would show films related to course topics…Visuals were incidental props, tricks to spark students’ interests, more than viable communicative modes in themselves…By contrast, today’s wired classrooms provide students easy access to “a flood of visual images, icons, streaming video, and various hybrid forms of images and text” (18). My timeline tracked the evolution of these remediated technologies. Shipka connections this idea of a technology dependent visual society with issues of accessibility, especially in learning computer programs. I address this issue with my timeline too, as I look at the development of coding. My timeline uses the (fake) hashtag “literaciesoftechnology”, because I did not want to generalize in terms of just one technology; Shipka’s view aligns with mine, as she writes, “what I am cautioning against here is, first, an overly narrow definition of technology. It is not entirely clear of Handa counts the blackboards, podium, or desks arranged in rows as technologies. It appears not. But the description clearly overlooks many of the technologies typically present in the classroom: books, light switches, lightbulbs, floor and ceiling tiles, clocks, watches, water bottles, aluminum pop-top cans, eyeglasses, clothing, chalk, pens, paper, handwriting, and so on” (20). Shipka asserts that these technologies are also communicative modes, making my (fake) hashtag apt. I also include another (fake) hashtag, #computerdevelopment, to discuss the remediation of computer based technology, which Shipka recommends we differentiate from other technologies.  

I feel that my timeline connects with The New London Group’s article by way of accessibility. The New London Group’s interest in multiliteracies, which “overcome the limitations of traditional approaches by emphasizing how negotiating the multiple linguistic and cultural differences in our society is central to the pragmatics of the working, civic, and private lives of students” aligns with #Ohmann, #Selfe1999, and their analysis of Design makes me think of #Fitzpatrick’s making versus creating. The idea of lifeworlds and our ability to help shape them takes us back to the debate between Selfe and Slatin (and, in my interpretation, Bolter and Grusin) regarding our responsibilities as teachers and where the boundaries of our classrooms lie. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna,

    It’s interesting how you artfully connect this week’s readings to your timeline. I really struggled with this (esp. since the readings did not directly relate to my focus on technology and assessment), and so took a different approach in writing my response. It was interesting, though, to see how you were able to so easily wrap these diverse concepts around the purpose and content of your timeline.

    What I find to be the most interesting part of your response is your notion that “Shipka asserts that these technologies are also communicative modes, making my (fake) hashtag apt.” I was admittedly entertained by your (and other classmates) use of fake hashtags as a means of categorizing technological ideas/tools/trends. I noticed during our class presentations that each of you made a point to tell us that the hashtags were fake. But now after reading Shipka’s piece and your post, I see that the concept of the hashtags being “fake” is subjective, even irrelevant. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool connections that you've made here to your timeline and the hashtag approach you used on your timeline.

    I think the notion of bringing students' lifeworlds into our classrooms, which you highlight, is an interesting one, especially when we consider L2 acquisition/learners. L2 learners are typically quiet and reserved due to (among a plethora of factors) the fact that they feel their background/culture is marginalized in the English classroom.

    Since Shipka speaks so passionately about allowing our students to bring their lifeworlds into our classroom, I'm wondering what specific assignments she is thinking about? Digital personal narratives? Blogs? What? And I'd be interested to see if this multimodal approach would improve the collaboration among L2 students specifically.

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,

    I think your comparison between the hashtags you created on your timeline and Shipka's work is spot on! Very apt indeed :) It's interesting how they can function as remediation markers in some ways, or as perhaps tool titles for the multimodal process Shipka (and others) urge students to engage with.

    I like the connections you make between the remediation mentioned in the text and that on your timeline, and how the materiality of the classroom changing then changes the interaction occurring in that space. That makes me wonder if a timeline of pedagogy theory was constructed, how it might align with the technology remediations you profile.

    ReplyDelete